Great NorthWest Federal Credit Union
Great NorthWest Federal Credit Union was chartered in April 1953 as Shafer Mill Employees Credit Union. When Weyerhaeuser bought out Shafer Mill in 1955, the credit union became known as Twin Harbors W Credit Union. It was a state-chartered credit union serving Weyerhaeuser Company employees and their families.
In Pacific County, a credit union was started about the same time but began as a PUD Credit Union and expanded to take in county employees and eventually became a community charter, Pacific County Federal Credit Union.
In 1982, Twin Harbors W Credit Union merged with Pacific County Federal Credit Union and was known as Twin Harbors Credit Union, a state chartered credit union. The field of membership was Pacific County and the employees of the Weyerhaeuser Pulp Mill and Weyerhaeuser Sorting Yard.
In 1996, we petitioned the State of Washington for an expansion to become a community charter and it was approved in May 1996. This expanded the field of membership to anyone who works, lives or worships in Grays Harbor or Pacific Counties. In 1997, the credit union changed from state-charted to federal-chartered and became Twin Harbors Federal Credit Union.
In December of 2000, our name was changed from Twin Harbors Federal Credit Union to Great NorthWest Federal Credit Union. One reason was to better describe our field of membership and the other reason was nonmembers would get us confused with Twin County Credit Union, now Twin Star Credit Union, and Grays Harbor Credit Union who is no longer in business.