With the Christmas season almost upon us, Grays Harbor County is gearing up for the holidays with Christmas light displays, concerts, visits from Santa, simple ways to give back to the community and so much more. Check out these local events and get ready to make some special memories this Christmas season.
Visit with Santa. Bring your kids and pets to Elma Feed & Farm Supply for a visit and picture with Santa on Saturday, December 5 from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Photos are $5, although you are encouraged to take your own pictures with your phone or personal camera.
- Santa by the Sea. Santa will be arriving at the Westport Maritime Museum via a US Coast Guard boat on Saturday, December 5 at 10:30 a.m. Santa and his elves will be available to chat with kids and listen to their Christmas wishes. Children may also visit Santa’s workshop, where they can purchase inexpensive gifts for their parents, siblings or friends.
- Shop the Docks. In collaboration with Santa by the Sea, the City of Westport will be hosting “Shop the Docks.” During this special event, merchants along the Westport Marina, who are normally closed during the winter, will be open for business from 10:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. Bring the whole family for a day of fun and holiday shopping, plus enter for a chance to win a massive gift basket stuffed with items from each participating business.
Holiday Bazaar. For those who enjoy arts and crafts, hop over to the neighboring Pacific County Fairgrounds for an artsy Holiday Bazaar, scheduled for Saturday and Sunday, December 5 and 6 from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.
- Holiday Market. Join the South Beach Arts Association for their Holiday Market, featuring unique, handcrafted items from local artists and crafters. There will be numerous gifts, decorations and art available for purchase. There will be an opening reception on Friday, December 4 from 4:00 – 8:00 p.m. Subsequent weekday hours are 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and weekend hours are 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. The market will be open through December 14.
- Elma’s Old Fashioned Tree Lighting. Hosted by the Elma Chamber of Commerce, this event is scheduled for Tuesday night, December 8 at 6:00pm. Come to downtown Elma and enjoy hot coco, cookies, caroling and a visit from Santa.
Holiday Blood Drive. Although donating blood hardly sounds like a fun way to prepare for the holidays, the Elma Grange is encouraging Grays Harbor residents to give a gift that matters this Christmas season. The Red Cross will be at the Elma Grange on Tuesday, December 8 from noon to 5:00 p.m. for those who are able to help save a life.
- Grays Harbor Santa. Grays Harbor Santa will be at the Extreme Fun Center in the South Shore Mall during the month of December. Kids will have the opportunity to get their pictures taken in Santa’s living room and even play games with Santa. The public is asked to bring a small donation which will go to a local charity. Families and kids can visit Santa starting on Friday, December 4 at 11:00 a.m. Click here for a complete schedule.
- “What Christmas Means to Me” Concert. Hosted by Immanuel Baptist Church, this free concert will feature the young and beautiful talent of the Grays Harbor Singers Company. The event is scheduled for Friday, December 11 at 7:00 p.m.
The Festival of Lights. The 29th Annual Montesano Festival of Lights will take place on December 11 through the 13. There will be numerous events and holiday fun over the weekend, along with a large, festive parade Saturday night, December 12 at 6:00 p.m.
- The Grays Harbor Civic Choir will be performing a holiday concert at the Bishop Center located in the Grays Harbor College campus on Sunday, December 13 at 3:00 p.m. Cost is $14 for adults, $12 for seniors and $8 for students. Children under the age of 13 receive free admission.
- Jinglelights. Jinglelights is a dazzling outdoor, Christmas lights show located in Central Park. Each show lasts 40 minutes and includes 140,000 lights synchronized to cheerful, holiday music. Hot coco and a campfire are usually available for visitors. The show is a fundraiser for the local “Shop with a Cop” program with a donation can on site. The show begins on December 2 and runs through December 27. Community members can enjoy this lively event any night of the week, except Mondays and Tuesdays. Show times are hourly from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. with an additional 9:00 p.m. show on Friday and Saturday. Poor weather conditions may require the show to be canceled for a certain night. Check for updates on the Jinglelights Facebook Page.
Hoquiam High School Holiday Concert. The Hoquiam High School band and choir will be performing some classic Christmas music at the 7th Street Theatre on Wednesday, December 16 at 7:00 p.m. The event is free to the public.
- Science of Santa, Doctor Kaboom. This light-hearted, holiday show will take place at the Bishop Center on Saturday, December 19 at 2:00 p.m. Tickets are $25 for a family pack of four, or $7 each.
- Adopt-A-Grandparent for the Holidays. Are you looking for a unique way to reach out to others this Christmas season? If so, consider participating in Grays Harbor’s “Adopt-A-Grandparent.” On Christmas Eve at 2:00 p.m., a group of volunteers will visit Montesano Health and Rehab to distribute gifts and gift baskets to the residents, many who do not even receive visitors during the holidays. Community members are encouraged to adopt-a-grandparent or two or three, for $20 each. You may also volunteer to help distribute gifts.